Monday, July 3, 2023

An American Radical

 

I have hesitated writing about Susan L. Rosenberg and her book, An American Radical:: Political Prisoner in My Own Country I came across the book recently by accident while browsing through biographies in the collection of my local library.  It was published over twenty years ago and therefore not in great demand and easily available.

It may be the best book I have ever read.  I'm sure I will be unable to adequately support that judgement with my words.  Of course, that is of no real consequence since anyone else can easily acquire the book and make their own judgements about its value.

Rosenberg was arrested in 1984 in the act of transporting explosives and guns to support armed rebellion.  She was given a fifty-eight year sentence, of which she spent sixteen in high-security prisons around the country.  She ultimately won a commutation of her sentence in the last hours of the Clinton presidency.

An American Radical presents a vividly detailed account of what it is like to face a life in the American system of incarceration.  Rosenberg survived the experience thanks to allies in and out of prison, along with her stamina, intellectual capacities, and emotional resilience.  Those same qualities allowed her to craft her epic story and -- unlike the vast majority of inmates -- to come out a better, more complete, person than when she went in.

No comments: