I look forward at the beginning of. each month to the new issue of The New York Review of Books. I access the publication online through our local library's Overdrive collection of books and magazines. A fortuitous benefit of that accessibility is that I can make use of my old color-screen Kindle Fire tablet which Amazon has crippled to prohibit direct downloads. The library poses no such restriction, and I can even use it to borrow books with an easy work-around.
To borrow books using the old Kindle I first access the library site on my computer which allows me to borrow a book without restriction. With the Safari browser on my Kindle Fire I then go to my library account page, select "Loans" and choose the available option to read the book online.
I read The New Yorker the same way each week, but these days seldom find articles of interest to me. The Review, however, always has at least a couple book reviews that are beautifully written.
The first article this month by Michael Greenberg, Whose Party, succinctly explores the dilemma of the Democratic Party establishment in coming to grips with the explosive growth of its progressive wing, populated mostly by adherents of the Democratic Socialists of America. The take-down of long-time insider James Carville's scowling complaint about progressives is beautiful.
Further on in the same issue Alma Guillermoprieto brilliantly reviews several books about the life and career of everyone's favorite Mexican artist, Frida Kahlo, in Fridas for Everyone.
![]() |
| Frida - Self Portrait |

No comments:
Post a Comment